Q: When is a chandelier not a chandelier?


A: When you are in France. In English a chandelier is a light fitting, you know the ones I mean dripping with crystals which sparkle in the light and make a room look oh so glamorous! I have one that I bought in Alexandria, Egypt and is currently sitting in my attic as it needs to be rewired, it has 18 branches so I feel that it may take some time!

In french a chandelier is something that holds candles - the term candelabra springs to mind.


The above photo is of a pair of petit chandeliers that we currently have in stock in our online store which are for sale complete with matching mirror.

By the way in french a chandelier is referred to as a "lustre", confused well you probably should be.

Another faux ami (words that you think mean the same but do not are called false friends in French) is canape. In English one tends to serve canapes at a posh function whereas in France one lies on a canape as that is what a canape is in french.

The above is a photo of the canape in the Chambre Verte at Maison de Poitiers.


A la prochaine,


L x

Comments

  1. what a exciting life you lead, it sounds like so much fun. I am enjoying your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am loving yours and will have to put you in my blog roll.
    Ness xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That certainly will make me think twice when someone says canapes next!Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment