French food Friday...chutney de figue



recipe from here

Bonjour mes belles,

I defrosted a large quantity of figs and realised that I would have to do something quickly but what, I asked myself. I am not a huge fan of fig jam but I love fig confit. The trouble is that we eat a lot of fig confit and I feel like a change so I decided that I would try and make chutney.
Yesterday I made a batch using the recipe below which has rasins and onions in and it has turned out okay.
I have another couple of kilos of figs that are taking up a lot of space in the congélateur so I am thinking about making a port and fig chutney which we could eat with cheese or pork. It may even make for an unusual gift for our French friends depending on how it turns out.

Here is the recipe that I used yesterday and once I have tried the other one, I will let you know. Note you can use dried figs if you do not have fresh ones.

Fig Chutney

brown sugar: a generous cup (250g)
figs: 8 large (about 2 1/2 pounds / 1kg)
malt vinegar: 2/3 cup (150ml)
cider vinegar: 2/3 cup (150ml)
onions: 9 ounces (250g), chopped
golden raisins: 9 ounces (250g)
salt: 1 teaspoon
allspice: 1 teaspoon
black peppercorns: half a teaspoon, cracked
coriander seeds: 1 teaspoon


Warm the sugar in a bowl in a low oven. Coarsely chop the figs, removing any tough stems as you go, then put them in a large stainless steel or enameled saucepan. Add the vinegars, onions, raisins, salt, allspice, cracked peppercorns, and coriander seeds, then bring to a boil. Simmer for thirty minutes, until the onions and fruit are soft.
Stir in the sugar. Bring slowly to a boil, then turn the heat down so that the chutney bubbles gently. Cook for ten to fifteen minutes, with the occasional stir to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan, until the mixture is thick and jamlike. Bottle in sterilized jars while hot and seal.
Makes a couple of jars. Note when I made it yesterday I had 6 jam jars worth so it depends on the size of jars that you are planning on using.

bon vendredi à tous, Leeann x

Comments