french food friday - Ham and Gruyére Risotto


recipe and photo from here

Bonjour mes belles,

Today is the first day that I have not had a stack of courgettes staring at me from my kitchern work top.

For the last month or so, every time I turn around, French boyfriend appears with a pile of courgettes...they were taking over the kitchen and as a result I was spening more and more time in the kitchen, in order to use them up.

Don't get me wrong, I love spending time in the kitchen but as this is one of our busiest months of the year guest wise, the last thing that I feel like doing is trawling the internet looking for a new recipe and then having to cook it. FB is on cooking strike as he cooked some fish which I said was overcooked and I realise that I should have not said anything.....famous last words.

For some reason or another, I have an over supply of risotto rice  so I am making this recipe tonight.

Ham and Gruyére Risotto
Serves 4-6 
Preparation 10 mins 
Cooking 25 mins

Ingredients
    1.5l (48 fl oz) chicken stock or vegetable stock
    30g (1 oz) butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    125g (4 oz) ham, chopped
    400g (13 oz) arborio or carnaroli rice
    125ml (4 oz) dry white wine
    125g gruyére cheese, cut into small dice
    60g (2oz) freshly grated parmesan cheese
    1 tsp snipped chives

Method

    Bring the stock to a gentle simmer in a large saucepan. Meanwhile, heat 30g (1 oz) of the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
    Add the onion and cook, stirring, over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, or until soft.
    Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes.
    Add the rice to the onion and stir gently for 2 minutes to coat the rice grains with a little butter.
    Add the white wine. Stir and allow almost to evaporate.
    Keep adding the simmering stock, a ladle at a time, to the rice mixture. The rice must be allowed to absorb the liquid before more stock is added. Stir frequently and often, and add more stock as required. It will take about 20 minutes to cook. Taste the rice - it should be soft but still retain a little bite.
    Remove from the heat and add the gruyére, grated parmesan cheese and chives. Cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Season to taste.
bon appetit à tous, Leeann x

Comments